Do you have a broken, chipped or cracked tooth? If a filling or veneer can’t fix it, chances are good that a dental crown can help restore the look and function of that tooth. A crown acts like a cap that is fitted over the damaged tooth. You may need a crown in the following situations:
- For a cracked, broken, or fractured tooth that has been weakened
- To treat a cavity that is too large for a filling
- During root canal treatment to protect the repaired tooth
- To cover a tooth that is discolored or misshapen
We use porcelain crowns because they are strong, durable, and we can match them to the natural color of your teeth so they are virtually unnoticeable. Also, porcelain crowns will not stain — with proper dental care you can enjoy the benefits of this healthy and attractive restoration for a long time.
How a Crown Works
- Step 1: We prepare the tooth by removing a thin outer portion so the crown can fit on top. At this time we also remove any decay, or we build the tooth up so it can support the crown.
- Step 2: An exact impression of your tooth is taken that is used to fabricate the crown.
- Step 3: We fit you with a temporary crown while the permanent crown is being made.
- Step 4: When it’s time to apply the permanent crown, we will cement it in place and ensure a proper fit. You won’t notice the difference between your natural tooth and the crown.
You will have stronger restored teeth that function just like your natural teeth and are easy to care for. Be sure to brush twice a day and floss to maintain the restoration. At Sehnert Precision Dentistry, we help patients in Lewisville, TX and the surrounding area achieve and maintain a healthy smile. Please call our office at (972) 532-6737 if you have questions about your dental health.