Care After a Tooth Extraction
Imagine chopping down on a delicious peppermint candy cane only to feel intense discomfort and throbbing as the cavity you have been putting off treating suddenly reaches its breaking point. You have already been warned that a tooth extraction is the next step. Of any tooth procedure that is needed, a tooth extraction is probably the least desirable. Even though permanent teeth are meant to last a lifetime, there are unfortunate circumstances which make an extraction necessary.
A tooth extraction is the removal, or pulling out, of a tooth. Common reasons for tooth extraction include crowded teeth, severe infection, or trauma to the tooth and gums following an accident. While a tooth extraction is a last resort, it is unavoidable at times.
In our office, our experienced dentists are qualified to safely extract teeth with the goal of regaining the function and health of the mouth as soon as possible. In the aftermath of the extraction, there are certain tips to help avoid complications that could compromise your recovery:
- Relax for at least 24 hours after the procedure and limit activity for the next few days.
- Eat soft or liquid foods such as soup, yogurt, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, jello, and pudding, being sure to avoid hard, crunchy, and chewy foods.
- Avoid drinking through a straw for 24 hours.
- Do not smoke, as the sucking motion could disrupt the healing process.
- Use an ice pack for 10-minute intervals to avoid swelling.
- Continue brushing and cleaning your teeth, being sure to avoid the gums around the extraction area.
- Do not lay flat, and use a pillow to prop your head.
It is important to contact our office as soon as possible if you are experiencing any complications. After the healing process is completed, we can discuss potential tooth replacement options.
To avoid tooth extractions, it is important to remain diligent with your dental hygiene visits. If you have not recently been to see us for a hygiene visit and dental exam, please contact our office located in Lewisville, TX to schedule your next appointment. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to help you with anything you need!