The Benefits Of Composite Fillings
No matter how well they take care of their teeth, many of our patients still wind up with a cavity. Dental fillings are one of the most common dental conditions we treat here in our office. Rather than the traditional silver fillings, however, we also offer an alternative that doesn’t draw attention to the fact that you’ve had dental work done. Read on to find out more.
A composite resin, also known as a tooth-colored filling, is a restorative compound made of plastic and glass or ceramic particles. Composite resin is a popular alternative because it provides durability, resistance, and a natural-looking appearance.
This type of filling can be used to repair a cavity and for other cosmetic improvements like changing the color or reshaping a disfigured tooth. It is typically applied in layers, alternating each one with the use of a specialized light to harden the compound. The composite is then shaped and polished to fit the tooth and prevent staining.
The Benefits of Composite Fillings
The benefits of composite resin fillings include:
- Ideal for fixing small and medium-sized cavities
- Can be reshaped to look like a normal tooth because the material bonds directly to it
- The tooth doesn’t need to be filed down as much, allowing a better support structure for chewing and preventing breakage
- Composite resin fillings can be used to enhance the color of a tooth
- Can be used to repair chipped, broken or worn teeth
- Composite fillings can be repaired in case of chipping by simply adding more resin and reshaping it
- Resin is mercury-free, which makes it safer for both children and adults
- Resin composites do not corrode; that makes them very durable
This material gives restorations a better finish and adds flexibility, which makes it easier to use in areas that are difficult to reach. It prevents microfissures in the enamel edges, and significantly reduces bio-degrading over time, expanding its durability for upwards of 10 years.
Fixing a cavity, filling a gap, or reshaping a chipped tooth with composite fillings is a popular treatment at our Lewisville office. If you would like more information on services like these, please feel free to contact our office, and our team will be happy to assist you.